Just an observation: No one wants to be warned about sin or enjoys being told to turn away from sin or likes simply being told what they should or should not do….But everybody loves and can even get excited about hearing about blessing, prosperity, healing and victory. The sad part about this observation is the thing they don’t want or enjoy is very likely the direction/ instructions that will lead them to the thing they want to experience.
1. The fear of the Lord is the starting point for entering the knowledge of God. Simply stated without the fear of the Lord we can not and will not know God.
Proverbs 1:7 NKJV The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.
2. The Fear of the Lord brings illumination, revelation, understanding and direction in our lives. Without the fear of the Lord our days are short and we will lack a real understanding of life and God’s will for our life. The fear of the Lord positions us to have vision for life, family and ministry. In a day where authority is shunned and looked upon negatively. We must recognize Him as the supreme authority over everything in the heavens and the earth.
Proverbs 1:28-29 NKJV “Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me. Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the Lord.
Proverbs 2:1-6 NKJV My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you, So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord , And find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
Proverbs 9:10 NKJV “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 15:33 NKJV The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, And before honor is humility.
3. The fear of the Lord brings a hatred for perversion and sinful lifestyles. The fear of the Lord will cause real Christians to live a lifestyle of repentance and continually drawing closer to Jesus Christ. The fear the Lord brings about biblical life change and holiness in a person’s life.
Proverbs 8:13 NKJV The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate.
Proverbs 16:6 NKJV In mercy and truth Atonement is provided for iniquity; And by the fear of the Lord one departs from evil.
4. The fear of the Lord brings long life here on earth and starts us on a path to live in eternity with Jesus Christ. Jesus came to give life and life more abundant to those who trust in His Name and fear Him.
Proverbs 10:27 NKJV The fear of the Lord prolongs days, But the years of the wicked will be shortened.
5. The fear of the Lord brings confidence in God’s strength and ability to protect His children. The fear of the Lord doesn’t cause us to be scared but rather confident in the presence, provision, and protection of the Lord in our life.
Proverbs 14:26 NKJV In the fear of the Lord there is strong confidence, And His children will have a place of refuge.
6. The fear of the Lord gives us clearer perspective on temporal possessions. Just as the heroes of the faith considered themselves stranger and pilgrims in earth. The fear of the Lord equips us to walk in faith and forsake all temporal fleeting pleasures of sin and pursue the eternal promises of God.
Proverbs 15:16 KJV Better is little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble therewith.
7. The fear of the Lord brings a completeness and a fullness.
Proverbs 19:23 KJV The fear of the Lord tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.
8. The fear of the Lord brings riches, honor, and life.
Proverbs 22:4 NKJV By humility and the fear of the Lord Are riches and honor and life.
9. The fear of the Lord isn’t something we pick up and put down it should be the very fabric of who we are and how we live our lives everyday all day.
Proverbs 23:17 KJV Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long.
10. The fear of the Lord destroys the snares and traps of satan and brings safety to the child of God.
Proverbs 29:25 KJV The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.